Thursday, May 2, 2019

Review: The Last Queen

I have not read anything by C. W. Gortner before and while I had heard of Juana La Loca before I had not paid much attention to her. I am extremely disappointed in not look into her story sooner. This book was just wonderful. I originally checked this book out from the library but I loved it so much that I just had to purchase myself a physical copy.

Juana is written as such a relatable character one you so want to succeed and see her be triumphant but I know her story from history and I know how it ends for her. It just broke my heart. I so wanted an ending that was a happily ever after and totally not historically founded.

This book is so well researched and Gortner provides a wonderful historical note of what he did change to make the plot flow better. I always enjoy historical fiction that is well researched much better than poorly researched.

There are a lot of fascinating feminist themes about women and women who were in positions of power historically and how men treated them and how they were undermined. This goes on my list of feminist reads.

This book does come with a trigger warning for sexual assault and domestic violence.

1 comment:

  1. I all the time used to read piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of net so from now I am using
    net for content, thanks to web. I am sure this article has touched
    all the internet viewers, its really really pleasant paragraph on building up new weblog.
    Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored at work so I decided to check out your
    blog on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you present here and can't wait to take a look when I
    get home. I'm shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone ..
    I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful site!
    http://foxnews.co.uk

    ReplyDelete