Thursday, May 9, 2019

Review: The Savior's Champion

After reading Jenna's first book Eve: The Awakening, I knew I needed to read her next book that was a fantasy novel. I was so pumped for this book and I wasn't disappointed.

This book is so diverse with so many different characters. I adored Tobias. I did want to know a little more about the world this book was taking place in. Like more about the history of the savior and perhaps more about the fictional country, but I am hoping to get more of that in the sequel that Jenna is writing.

My absolute favorite thing about this book though was the consent scene. I didn't know how much I needed to see consent so explicitly written into a story until I read this. I wanted to cry. There wasn't a big deal made about it it just happened. Why do more books not have consent written into them? We need that. this alone puts it onto a feminist reads list.

I will admit that I skimmed the fight scenes. I know Jenna likes to write more gory and intense fight scenes. They are not my thing and not something I go out of my way to find in a book, but the rest of the book is so good that I didn't feel annoyed with those scenes. I just skimmed them for details and then dug into the juicy parts I wanted to sink my teeth into.

On a different note as a dyslexic person, I am so proud of myself for making through a 500-page novel. I never thought that would happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment