Saturday, April 9, 2011

Treasure Island Book Review

Title: Treasure Island
Author: Robert Lewis Stevenson
1st published: 1883
My rating: 5/5 stars

Treasure Island is about a boy named Jim Hawkins, who stumbles upon the pirate treasure find of the century. He and his friends set out on a voyage to find this spectacular treasure, and find they are not the only ones who are looking for it.

Setting: The setting in the beginning of the book is in England later they sail across the Atlantic, and come to an island some where around the Caribbean(this seems to be a very popular place for pirates) The ocean setting is great I love the ocean, and even though I have only been on a boat once in my life(that I can remember) I love sailing! So that was a really popular thing for me. I loved the islands description in the book.

Characters: Jim Hawkins I am not sure how old he is when the story takes place(in the book he says that he is 17 when he is writing it down). He seems to be around the age of 12 or 13 maybe? He has the young boy feel to him in the book. I love the characters, they are of all different kinds. Probably the character that interested me the most(and many other people) is Long John Silver. He is the most complicated character, you can never really tell in the book how he actually feels about the other people. There are times when I wonder if Stevenson knows how his character feels about the others. Silver is also very smart, and knows how to get what he wants.

Themes: There seems to be this over all theme in the book that treasure is not really worth what so many people think it is. It causes people to fight, and to kill each other. Pirates would kill people, sink ships, and many other cruel things, to get it. Jim Hawkins seems to wonder if it is really worth it. He also does not like the island, before all the adventure there happens, but he knows what is going to happen, and he knows that it is because of the treasure that is buried there.

I think this book is great for all ages! I loved it, and could not put it down. I like books that are like that. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure, and loves the sea.

Have you read Treasure Island? Did you like it?
Blessings
~Elizabeth

4 comments:

  1. I love this book! :D
    thanks so much for showing me those videos, they were hilarious! HAve you watched the F.U.N. one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! I thought you would like it! :) I just looked it up. It was very funny!!! :) :)
    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Treasure Island! :) I'm glad Stevenson didn't portray pirates as glamorous good-guys; at the same time, I did feel a little sorry for Silver at the end (or maybe it was in the Disney movie). Dr Livesey's my favorite character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this yet. I got it (free =) at our church's annual book swap. It is good to see that it has morals and things in it, and that it's not just a bunch of blood-thirsty pirates galavanting all over the place without any point. =) Maybe I'll need to move it up on my 'to read' list. ;)

    ReplyDelete