Sunday, May 5, 2019

A Reader?

In the past few years, I have felt guilty about identifying as a reader. I have gone through a really bad reading slump that lasted a few years. I just could not bring myself to read any books. I wanted to read but just couldn't do it. I loved books and still felt that how much I loved books defined who I am as a person but because I wasn't reading anything or reading very much I felt like I wasn't a true reader.

Even now I struggle with thinking of myself as a reader. I do not read very quickly and with how busy I am it is hard for me to sit down and read a book. I primarily read by listening to audio books. Do I still count as a reader? Can I still claim that identity?

The reality is that there are no reader police. There are people who can be a bit snobbish in the reading world but they do not get to decide who is and who is not a reader. I love books. I still read books. A long reading slump doesn't change that identity. My primarily reading through audio books doesn't change that I am a reader. I get to decide I am a reader. I love to talk about books with other people. It is still a primary way that I build friendships with people.

Have you struggled with identifying as a reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment