Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Mary Taylor to Mrs. Gaskell

Charlotte's friend Mary Taylor telling Elizabeth Gaskell about the first time she saw Charlotte Bronte.


Mary Taylor, Charlotte's school friend, to Mrs. Gaskell

"I first saw her coming out of the covered cart, in very old-fashioned clothes, and looking very cold and miserable. she was coming to school at Miss Wooler's. When she appeared in the schoolroom her dress was changed but just as old. She looked a little old woman, so very short-sighted that she always appeared to be seeking something, and moving her head from side to side to catch sight of it. She was very shy and nervous and spoke with a strong Irish accent."


Blessings
~Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. You must be reading Mrs. Gaskell's biography on Charlotte Bronte, I've long wished to read that! What a charming description of Charlotte. I love the bit about her "strong Irish accent", Rev. Bronte was Irish so I don't doubt that his children also had similar accents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading that book, but I did not get this from it. I got it from a book called "The Brontes a Life in Letters". Very interesting. I would recommend reading it. I totally fell in love with that bit two, I wasn't to surprised as well.
    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete