Thursday, April 4, 2019

The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross

I listened to this book on Audible recently and it was fantastic. I was intrigued by the description and picked it up for a free credit.

"Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. Growing up in Valenia at the renowned Magnalia House should have prepared her. While some are born with a talent for one of the five passions - art, music, dramatics, wit, and knowledge - Brienna struggled to find hers until she chose knowledge. However, Brienna’s greatest fear comes true: she is left without a patron.

Months later, her life takes an unexpected turn when a disgraced lord offers her patronage. Suspicious of his intent, she reluctantly accepts. But there is much more to his story, for there is a dangerous plot to overthrow the king of Maevana - the rival kingdom of Valenia - and restore the rightful queen, and her magic, to the throne.

With war brewing, Brienna must choose which side she will remain loyal to: passion or blood."


I would say that the Irish/Scottish influence of Maevana drew me in as well as the idea of a "Queens Relm" instead of a kingdom. I will say that the story was very slow moving in the beginning and it took about halfway through for it to actually get interesting and to the point of the plot. It doesn't particularly bother me when a book is slow moving as long as I am in the correct mood. If it is slow moving and I am more wanting something fast then it is not what I want. I did enjoy the set up of the plot and the world building involved.

Overall this book was fantastic and I would highly recommend. If you are looking for a subtle feminist read this book would fall under that description. I don't feel that it needed a sequel but there is one and I am going to read it as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment