Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Jane Austen Advise column

I like this idea of taking a character, who is not one of Jane Austen's, write a question, and have a character, who is a Jane Austen character, answer. I am not sure that I will be very good at it but I will give it a try. I have picked Catherine #2 from Wuthering Heights, because I have recently read the book, and she was the only character I liked. I chose Jane to answer because I feel she is the easiest character that I feel I know well enough to do this with. I am not completely pleased with it, but it is the best that I can come up with. I did enjoy doing it though very very much!

Dear Jane Austen Advise Column,
My name is Catherine Linton. I have a very very terrible problem! I was forced to marry someone, who I loved and I thought loved me, he is now dead, and I am now forced to live with my abominable father-in-law named Heathercliff! He positively hates me, and cannot stand the sight of me! I am so very very miserable. I have not see any of the people I truly love, and my dear dear father is dead! There is this horrible man here who keeps spouting about religion, and the devil. And a young man who has no learning what so ever, but wants to learn, I think he is an absolutely funny for trying. He is really quite annoying, and I make fun of him when ever I find him trying to teach himself how to read.I am quite ashamed of him even though everyone says he is my cousin! I am at a loss for what to do!
Catherine Linton

Dear Catherine,
I am so sorry about your late husbands death. I send you my deepest condolences! I am very sorry that you were forced to marry someone I am at a loss for what to say, but I suppose it is not so bad since you love him, but you are not sure about his love? I am sure that your father-in-law is not so bad, perhaps it is because he has just lost his son that he is so angry right now, and that seeing you just reminds him of what he has lost. I would just be kind the the man who is so religious he may have some good things to say so do not dismiss him completely, I know how much some people can be annoying when all they talk about, and think about is just one thing. You should not be so hard on your cousin. He is trying to help himself where he feels lacking, and if you are embarrassed about his ignorance you should encourage him and help him not make fun of him. I would try to be kind to everyone, when you are kind to others they will be kind to you.


Let me know what you think, and how I could improve it!
Blessings
~Elizabeth

7 comments:

  1. Which Jane did you pick? (Bennet, Fairfax, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Miss Elizabeth Bennet: I am so sorry I forgot to specify! Jane Bennett.

    @Mimi: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tone of Jane Bennet is so evident in every line! She's such a sweet character and you did a great job capturing her kind nature!

    ~Miss Laurie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you mind if I linked to this post for the conclusion of Jane Austen Week?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Miss Elizabeth Bennet: I would not mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That response was very Jane Bennet! I can just imagine her saying that! Great job!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete