Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Jane Eyre 2006 review

Title: Jane Eyre 2006
Producer: Masterpiece Theatre/ BBC
Directer: Susanna White
Writers: Charlotte Bronte(Book, Sandy Welch Screen version.
Actors: Ruth Wilson, Toby Stephens, Lorraine Ashbourne, Christina Cole, Georgie Henley.
My rating: 4/5 stars
IMDb synopsis: A young governess falls in love with her brooding and complex master. However, his dark past may destroy their relationship forever.
(please note this is a little bit to romantic of a synopsis of the movie. I think it is a little more than that.)
This movie sticks very close to the book. I am very pleased with how well they stuck to the book. The costumes are beautiful, and the setting is very lovely and is just what I would think every thing looked like. The actors were very good.

As much as I love Georgie Henley I don't really think she was quite the right fit for young Jane. I think she did a great job acting, but Georgie is just to cute to be Jane. Not that that is a bad thing, but Jane was suppose to be a very plain child, not exactly as healthy as the Reed children.
Other that the fact that she didn't look right for Jane she did a fine job.


I did like how they ended it with the family. It gave a sort of happily ever after feel. I enjoyed that, and gave you an idea of what happened after they got married.

The other actors were very nice the costumes were very nice. I liked how they had such a dramatic contrast between Jane and the other ladies. The one thing that I know annoys some people is that Blanch is a blond, and she is not in the book. My opinion on this is that having Blanch as a blond contrast characters better(sometimes). Blonds are often assosiated with being annoying, rude, stuck up and so on and so forth. (I am a blond so please do not think agree with this, this is just the assosiation that are minds put with blonds)


I like older Jane much better than younger Jane. She is plain small, and just what Jane is suppose to be. "Poor, obscure, and little". Toby Stevens was perhaps just a little to hansom to be Rochester, but I liked how he portrayed the character. I think he got that across just fine. I like how he brought across to the watcher the dark and mysterious character of Rochester.

I like how Jane's costumes were simple, and modest. They really showed her character a lot! Her hair was one of the things that caught my attention when I first watched the movie. It is very ordinary hair. I don't know why but it was one of the things that got my attention.

Over all this was a great movie. It will always be one of my favorites because it was the first Jane Eyre movie I saw, and it was the one that got me interested in Jane Eyre.

Probably the most negative thing about this movie is the one kissing scene in the bedroom. Right after Jane finds out the truth about Rochester. It is the most unJane like part of the movie. Jane Eyre would NEVER have done that! She new what was proper, and that most certainly not proper!

I really do love this movie. It is one of my favorites!!!!!!! I wish I had a trailer but I could not find the official trailer that was put out.

Blessings
~Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it would be very helpful to me if you would do the following:

    1. Go to the linky on my sidebar and delete the link to your main blog page.

    2. For each blog post that you do, click on the blog post so that it is the only post on your page, then copy the url. Link each one of these on the linky.

    If you still have trouble with it then it's not a big deal, I can find the posts alright. : )

    Good review! I've never seen all of this version, I will have to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a film version of "Jane Eyre"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this, but I found Mr. Rochester to be a total CREEP.
    And I agree, the kissing was extremely improper and inaccurate!

    ReplyDelete