Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Star Trek Discovery: Why Tilly is Actually Amazing

I love Star Trek. I grew up watching Next Generation as a family and my whole family loves sci-fi. Recently, with the pandemic going on, we started watching Discovery. This post will probably have some spoilers so if you are concerned about that stop reading, go watch Discovery, and then come back to talk.

Ready? Okay.

One of the things that I heard from Star Trek groups before watching Discovery was a lot of hate for the character of Tilly. The main thing that people seemed to complain about with her was that she was annoying so I went into the show expecting that. I did also want to keep an open mind and form my own opinions about her but I was prepared for her to be a character that would annoy me. Well having watched all of season one and two, I just don't know what people are talking about. I absolutely love Tilly so this is my post to talk about why she is, in fact, one of the most amazing characters on the show.

First I want to address what I am assuming people find annoying about Tilly. She talks a lot especially when she is nervous which is most of the time. She has a happy and bubbly personality. Maybe a little like a puppy. These are the things that I assume people find annoying about her, which to be fair I might find Tilly's personality exhausting for me as an introvert. However, I probably would also be the extremely awkward person in the corner at the party who Tilly would come over and talk to and invite to interact. I am pretty sure she would engage me and try to make me feel welcome and honestly, that would probably make me like her and move past the aspects of her personality that I might find clash with mine. Tilly is the kind of person who would try and make everyone feel welcome. She would see who is feeling awkward or uncomfortable and try to fix it.

The other thing that I love about Tilly is how much she is willing to go out of her way to help her friends and support them. She is a loyal friend. Such as when she was trying to find a way to help Staments with the spore drive. She wanted to find a way for him to not feel trapped as the navigator for the rest of his life. She is willing to reach out to Burnam as a friend when Burnam is feeling isolated. Tilly also helps to build her friends up when it comes to the Queen PO in one episode where she helps her to become strong and step up to her duty to her people. When she meets up with the queen again she recognizes how she has grown and tells her how proud she is of her.

Tilly is also willing to challenge Burnam. Burnam would rather avoid talking about her feelings but Tilly says "I love feeling feelings" and is open about what she is feeling. She practices empathy and connection with others and listens to them. She challenges how they think but does it in a subtle way by asking questions.

Something else that makes Tilly relatable to me is her complete nerdiness. She loves science and will say things like "that's so f*cking cool!" or "That is the power of math, people." She is incredibly smart but sometimes struggles to see herself that way. She isn't bold and being bold and speaking up pushes her outside of her comfort zone. She has the goal to be a captain someday but struggles with the confidence to achieve that goal. Her friends come in and support her and show her her strengths and tell her what will make her a good captain. I can relate to struggling to feel confident even when I know I am capable of doing something and having a goal but not feeling bold. However, having friends and colleagues that support me and show me that I am truly capable and strong and can achieve my goals makes all the difference. Just like with Tilly. 

Lastly, and perhaps this is an odd point, part of why I love Tilly is that she doesn't have the body of a typical Hollywood actress. She is a curvy girl, which is not often seen in sci-fi shows. I am a curvy girl and I really appreciate the representation of seeing someone with a body like mine on a TV show. I can't help but feel some of Tilly's struggles as a character come from not being a skinnier and not fitting a particular mold and that makes her all the more relatable. She is still an awesome and amazing and strong character and not just thin. Perhaps this is a bit of superficial reason but I can't help feeling that I would feel so much more comfortable in my own body during puberty if I had seen more women like Tilly on TV and had the representation of my body.

What are your thoughts or feelings on Tilly?


No comments:

Post a Comment