Monday, July 25, 2011

Book Review: Angel on the Square

Title: Angel on the Square
Author: Gloria Whelan
1st published: 2001
Genre: Historical fiction
My rating: 5/5

"In the fall of 1914, safe behind palace walls, Katya Ivanova sees St. Petersburg as a magical place. The daughter of a lady-in-waiting to the Empress, Katay spends all her time with the Grand Duchesses; the rayal family feels like her own. But outside the palace, a terrible war is sweeping through Europe, and Russia is beginning to crumble under the weight of a growing revolution. Now, as Katya's once certain future begins to dissolve, she must seek to understand what is happening to her beloved country, and for the first time in her life, take charge of her own destiny." -the back of the book

I LOVE this book!!! Gloria Whelan is one of my favorite authors! I would recommend this book to everyone!

The setting it wonderful and colorful you see the Winter Palace and all the splendor of the Romanov court. Perhaps the part that I like best is the story setting. She know the Royal family like it is her own, she sees what is happening to Russia and that it needs to be fixed. But she sees that the Tzar can fix it. She has a very good friend of her family, who is a revolutionist (not a Communist!!) and he shows her what needs to be fixed in the country. But she is loyal to the Tzar and does not want to see the a dramatic change of goverment like he does. She wants the Tzar to fix it. I love the conflicting views and how the character must come to terms with both. It is my favorite part of the book!

I have always loved the Russian Royal Family! My patron saint, St. Elizabeth the new martyr, was part of the Royal family, by marriage.

The characters are wonderful. You feel like you really are there getting to know them!

If you know Russia history(which I am sure most of you know what time period this is) you can kind of guess how it ends. I knew how it would and I was still very upset!

over all I think this was one of the best books that I have ever read! I have enjoyed all of Gloria Whelan's books, but this one is my favorite!! :)

Blessings
~Elizabeth



1 comment:

  1. This looks like an interesting book. Very specific target audience. :O)

    ReplyDelete