Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mansfield Park: book review

Title: Mansfield Park
Author: Jane Austen
1st published:
my rating: 5/5

Penniless Fanny Price is sent by her family to live with her richer relations at Mansfield Park. She lives with them for most of her life and everything is peaceful until the Crawfords come. Then everything is thrown upside down, and there is no peace.
- I wrote this that is why it is so terrible. The one on the back of the book was not the write kind of summery I needed. Also I have a different copy of the book, I could not find a picture of the right cover so I chose the one that looked best.

I must say that this is now my favorite Jane Austen book. It is much is different from her other ones in that it is one of her "mature novels" as the introduction said. It is not quiet the same kind of romance that you would find in Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility. It was a little difficult to get into the first couple of chapters, but after that I could not put the book down.

I loved the characters. Fanny was lovely. She was sweet and shy, always willing to help, and did not want to appear ungrateful for all that her relatives have all done for her. She is lovable in every way, I have no idea where the person who wrote the into got the idea that Fanny was not a likable main character?

I love how she seemed to talk about through her story the need for parents to be involved in their children's lives. To teach them and show them good behavior, and how to be a respectable person.

The other thing I liked was Fanny and Edmund's romance. They were very good friends before they fell in love. I think I would like to be good friends with the person I marry before I fall in love with them. I would want to get to know them really well.

Blessings
~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment