Friday, May 22, 2020

My Theology/Religion Book TBR

 This year I made the goal to read 10 Orthodox books that would either relate to theology, saints, or some other way. Because I want to makes sure this goal actually happens I made a list of the 10 books I need to read. I am allowed to read other books in addition to these 10 but I have to read these 10. I find when I make a list and am specific with the titles I am more likely to actually complete.

So far I have read 3 of my goal books and am in the middle of another of my books. I have been going through a bit of a reading slump with COVID going on right now. But here is my list of 10 Orthodox books to read. I will note which ones I have completed and which one I am in the middle of reading. I might give some information on why I picked some of the books as well.

1. Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia by Lvubov Miller
I actually really need to get moving on reading this one as I have actually borrowed it from a friend. I always feel nervous borrowing books from people as I am such a mood reader and I feel nervous when I take too long to work through a book.

2. Reclaiming the Atonement: An Orthodox Theology of Redemption by Patrick Henry Reardon -Currently reading
This one has been on my TBR for a while and I was first drawn to it as I am still working through gaining a deeper understanding of how the Orthodox understand atonement and redemption and how it differs from the western understanding. I highly recommend this book so far from what I have read which I am about 80% through. I also ended up purchasing more of Reardon's books because I enjoy is very in-depth but at the same time accessible writing.

3. Bread & Water, Wine & Oil: An Orthodox Experience of God by Meletois Webber
So part of why I selected this one is because I was able to purchase it on audible for an audiobook. I try to either listen to church music on my way to services of a theology book. I also have been experimenting with if listening to theology books will help me to read more of them. I was intrigued by the description of this book however as I am always looking to better understand how Orthodox views of God differ from other Christian views.

4. Orthodox Worship: A living Continuity with the Synagogue, the Temple, and the Early Church -Finished
I got this one as it was recommended to me by Audible but I really was interested by it because ever since I read Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist (Catholic author but so much good material) I have been interested in understand the Jewish origins of Orthodox theology and practice. I feel like I need to reread this book actually as I do not think I fully processed all of the information in the book.

5. When the Church Was Young: Voices of the Early Fathers
Another Audible selection but I recently saw Hank Hanigraf did a podcast on this book so now I am extra intrigued by it. I will say that I am interested in gaining a better understanding of the early church and the theologians of the time.

6. At the corner of East and Now: A Modern Life in Ancient Christian Orthodoxy by Frederica Mathewes-Green - Finished
This one I selected mostly because I find Mathewes-Green to bean and easy to read author and I wanted something a little more soft and easy to read. Perhaps a bit less hard-hitting than other books on my list. It was also on Audible and the author was also the narrator which was very enjoyable.

7. Everywhere Present: Christianity in a One-Storey Universe 
This one I selected because it was on Audible. I can't remember if there was any other reason for selecting this book but I am interested in reading it.

8. The Orthodox Church by Kallistos Ware
My parents read this book when we became Orthodox and I have wanted to read it for a while and it is a bit of a classic in the Orthodox world but I have not gotten around to it so this year will be the year that I read it. I even ordered my own copy to annotate from Powell's bookstore.

9. Resurrecting Easter: How the West Lost and the East Kept the Original Easter Vision by John Dominic Crossan & Sara Crossan - Finished
So I purchased this book from Bookoutlet when I found it accidentally and I was very interested to read a non-Orthodox person's view on Western versus Easter Pascha/Easter. This book also focuses on religious art history which I was very intrigued by. I will say that there were some interesting tidbits in it about the history of how the Resurrection is portrayed. I would recommend this book.

10. Christ in the Psalms by Patric Henry Reardon
I selected this one originally because of the author and it seemed a good one from my reading list, however, after reading his other book I am even more excited to read this one. I am also intrigued by it more now having read bits and gained a better understanding of Christ being in the Psalms and the Orthodox Church's relationship to the Psalms. I am planning to read through the book of Psalms while reading this book as well.

What are some of your reading goals? Do you make specific goals with a specific list of books or do you make a goal and then go without a plan.



No comments:

Post a Comment