Thursday, May 28, 2020

Dark Fantasy

I love dark fantasy novels. Maybe they are a bit trendy right now but I enjoy them. I prefer the setting to explore concepts of morality in complex situations. The darker fantasy book allows for more in-depth conversations about humanity and what makes a person human, who do we see as good and bad. Most importantly though I like the discussion on grey areas.

The Grisha Trilogy has a darker tone and explores some dark themes and Six of Crows has you following some perhaps morally questionable characters. The Savior's Champion is really a true dark fantasy that explores themes of humanity.

However, I think the book that most strongly highlights the complex themes and narratives that I love and really make a dark fantasy novel is Dragonwitch by Anne Elisabeth Stengl so I will be using that book as the foundation for my discussion. Dragonwitch is part of a series that I wouldn't overall characterize as dark fantasy but as an individual book, it is. My favorite line of the book that might actually be one of my favorite quotes ever just because it sets up the novel so well and really establishes the title character.

"Have you ever watched an immortal die? 
             You who have slain countless fey fold, tell me if you dare: Did you ever stand by and watch and immortal death? Did you see the blush of life fade to grey, the light of the spirit slowly wane? You have taken life, but have you seen it stolen from before your eyes? 
                I have" 

This just gives me chills as it really sets up the darker tone of this novel. Previous books in The Goldstone Wood series have had a much more bright tone. Not necessarily light themes but sunnier in the overall tone of the books. Not Dragonwitch. She is dark and you spend a lot more time getting to know the "villain" of the story and their backstory. The other characters that are the good guys of the story also start in a gloomy castle setting.

This is line is also our first introduction to the Dragonwitch who in previous novels is mentioned as a horrible person and a "bad guy", but this line adds another layer to her and adds depth. In the Goldstone wood world, dragons are people or fey who have given their soul to the Father of Dragons. Here we see some of why perhaps the Dragonwitch decided to become a dragon. By the end of the novel, you have a deep sympathy and love for her. Or at least I did. It didn't make her character any better of a person but rather a more sympathetic villain so to speak.

These are the two aspects of this dark fantasy novel that I love the most. There are many other aspects but I honestly need to do a reread of Dragonwitch.

What are your thoughts on dark fantasy? Do you have a favorite dark fantasy book?



No comments:

Post a Comment