Friday, September 14, 2018

Oceans & Infinity

This past summer I took a road trip vacation with my best friend. We visited the ocean and Olympic national park. When I stood beside the ocean, I could not help but feel how incredibly small I was. How the ocean is so powerful with the crashing waves.

When I looked at the horizon, it continued endlessly. There seemed to be no end to the ocean and it just continued on for infinity. No end. It began at my feet but continued forever outward. The beach I was standing on a mere beginning point to a journey.

One thing that scares me about the ocean is the depth. It feels infinite. I have nightmares of being thrown off a ship with hundreds of miles of ocean beneath me and not knowing where the bottom is. It feels as if the ocean is bottomless and that fills me with terror. It is perhaps a more irrational fear but it is a fear nonetheless. The most terrifying this to me about the Titanic sinking is how deep the ocean is and how the people freezing on the surface didn't know where the bottom was. There is also no way to know what exists in all those miles of ocean.

Perhaps the ocean is like a person. They exist infinitely within. Thoughts begin but never end. There is no truely knowing another person completely. It is what makes people so exciting and terrifying. With some people, you only map the surface and with others, you plumb the depths. If you want to know the depths of a person though they have to let you in.

It makes me think of that quote from Doctor Who when the TARDIS is in Idris and she said "Are all people like this? So much bigger on the inside."


No comments:

Post a Comment