Friday, September 7, 2018

Lady Jane Grey Retellings

I am a huge fan of historical fiction and one of my favorite eras to read about is the Tutors and Plantagenet's in England. Lady Jane Grey is one of my favorite people to read about. Her story fascinates me with the political intrigue and drama. The tragedy of her story also makes it more compelling. Since I have read a few different retellings of her story I have decided to write a post where I list them so that if you are looking for books on the subject you can find them. Please suggest some to me if you know of some that I have not already read. I will probably add to this post as time goes on.
 Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir
This was the first book I ever read about Lady Jane Grey and it is probably my favorite. Alison Weir is an amazing historical fiction writer because she writes amazing characters while following events. She does sometimes change things to suit the plot but she always has a detailed historical note in her book about what she changed. This book while centered around Lady Jane Grey's story does have different perspectives. There are characters with subplots that are sprinkled throughout the story. Even though you know how it ends you are still so devastated.
Three Maids for a Crown by Ella March Chase
This book covers the stories of the three Grey sisters Jane, Katherine, and Mary. Before reading this book I knew that Jane had two sisters Katherine and Mary but I didn't really know much more about them. Both of them had fascinating and also tragic stories. It has been a while since I read this book and it doesn't stand out as much to me as the other books did and so I don't remember much about it.
Her Highness The Traitor by Susan Higginbotham
I have to say that when I read this book I was mostly reading it because I loved the topic and I was a little skeptical that anyone could make the story interesting or tell it in a different way. Well, I was wrong. The retelling is told from the perspective of the two mothers Francis and Jane the mothers of Jane and Guilford.  It was also a very interesting way of exploring how Jane is held up as a saint when really she was a teenage girl. In fact, Jane in this book wasn't the most likable character and that was an interesting way of telling the story. I highly recommend this retelling. It is refreshing.
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, & Jodi Meadows 
I was not prepared for this book. I had to completely separate this book from what I knew happened in history. First off, this book is also a fantasy book. I believe magical realism. Also, the book has a happy ending and in addition, the romance is heavy in this book. It was just so different. I absolutely loved the ending because I so want Jane to have a happy ending and this book gives on. My one critique is that I felt the authors didn't have a clear grasp of how titles work. Mary and Elizabeth would absolutely have not been addressed with the title of princess. They were legally considered illegitimate children of Henry VIII so they would have been called Lady Mary and Lady Elizabeth. I realize this book is 95% fiction and 5% based on history but understanding British titles and the importance of birth.

This is the end of my list. Please, please, please tell me if you have any other Lady Jane Grey historical fiction novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment