Monday, July 8, 2013

Wanting to Write

I love to read books. I enjoy writing. When I was still very little I thought it would be great to write a book. To tell a story. It is not that I have not written stories. I just have not gotten to the writing a book part. I feel a little lost when it comes to writing a book.

It is not that I lack ideas. I really do have quiet a lot of them and they come from the strangest things. I even write down these ideas. I just feel that I lack a certain ability to give characters life. Most of the time I find my self very dissatisfied with the characters that I just don't know how to give them life. Knowing how to write well when it comes to grammar, paragraphs, structure and style I can do that. I just can't seem to get things to come alive.

I do want to improve. I think with practice I could. But practice requires time. Time that for much of the past couple of years I have not been able to spare. Getting ready for college, making sure I can graduate from highschool really takes a lot of time. Not to mention practicing the piano. After it all I just want to not think about anything. So I go off and I read a book.

It is not like writing is the only thing in my life that has suffered from lack of time. Crafts is one. It is a lot of work to cut things out, plan what to do, glue and dry, cut some more, and all the little details it can be exhausting. I  really enjoy doing them though.

The other big thing with writing is that my family has 2 computers at the moment and 5 people who all want to use them for their own school, social media, and what not that they need the computer. It is a amazing that I was able to post any post during the past school year.

My dream of writing a book though might wait a little longer. With college coming I am not sure what my schedule will be like. That age old question of time will strike again. What I really want to do is just grit my teeth and just start something. I think I would really enjoy it. And someday hopefully I will. I just don't have a clue when.

So this is what I am thinking about today. I hope you don't mind me blurting out my random thoughts on your computer screen.

Blessings
~Elizabeth

PS. A very productive thing I did today was invent a new kind of cookie, that according to my family is absolutely delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I have always struggled with the structure of essays. I often get lost in what I'm writing, and I never feel like bothering to worry about the structure. I guess it bores me a little bit. This obviously became a problem for me in school, and I still struggle with structures and all the technical aspects of writing an essay. So, in that aspect I differ from you, but in a lot of other ways I can really relate to what you're going through. I love to focus on the themes, characters and their life stories/backgrounds, atmosphere and emotions. I'm terrible at coming up with an actual plot. I can come up with a story, but not exactly a plot. I've been planning a story for a long time now, but I'm still trying to organize the plot and get it all together in my head. So the idea of actually getting down to it and writing it frightens me. I think I might be scared of not getting it to be like how I envision the story in my mind. Like you, I sometimes just want to grit my teeth and start writing.

    I used to love creating art, but I was more into sketching, drawing, and painting than crafts. Ever since I was little I've had a passion for both art and writing. Then, later on, I think in my tween years, I decided to focus on one or the other, and I chose writing. As a result, I am really out of practice in regards to drawing and sketching, but I feel writing comes first before art for me.

    ReplyDelete