Wednesday, April 25, 2012

CD Review: The Wind that Shakes the Barley

CD: The Wind that Shakes The Barley
Artist: Loreena McKennitt
Released: 2010
As most of my followers know by now I am an ardent fan of Loreena McKennitt. :) She is by far my favorite artist I did do a very long fan post over here with a lot of information about her in it.

In the Wind that Shakes the Barley Loreena goes back to her roots. It reaches back to much a similar style to that of Elemental and Parallel Dream.

Songs: 
As I roved Out: This song can get very easily stuck in your head. It is a bouncy happy song, with a story to it. It is a  a little difficult to understand what she is saying too. I would look for the lyrics. The story is one that is um... quite interesting, I would take away a moral from it. Otherwise a very enjoyable song.
On a Bright May Morning: This is one of my favorites. It is sad song and one with a story to learn from. It is a sad romantic tale. The last stanza is my favorite. One interesting thing though is that some other artist called this song as I roved out, but all the other artist who have songs titled as I roved out have the story that is like the one above. Strange?
Brian Boru's March: This is one of my favorite instrumental songs. It makes me think of fall, I love the happy melody and the variety of instruments used. It is a lovely arrangement of the song.
Down By the Sally Gardens: Just to say I think this song is way over done. I almost seems that if you are going to be in the Celtic Genre you have to do this song. There are so many versions. I like it is just that is is every where. I like it and it is a lovely version. The story and the moral is also a good one too. (I have linked to a live version for this song. I think it is wonderful live, and Loreena always sounds better live :)
The Star of the County Down: This is such a fun bouncy song, and I enjoy is very much! It is my happy song. I love the instruments used in it as well. I also love the story the song tells.
The Wind That Shakes the Barley: I love this song. The cello is amazing! The words are so lovely, the poeticness of the lyrics is one the best parts. Loreena's voice is perfect for the song. It is a definite favorite! (sorry I cannot find a link to listen to the song :( )
The Death of Queen Jane: I think this is my least favorite. I don't know why, you would think I would like it since I believe it is about Jane Seymour, who married Henry VIII. It is Tudor, and I love to read about the Tudors. It is sad, and the music is lovely, and Loreena has done a marvelous job with it!
The Emigration Tunes: Loreena wrote this song. It is a mournful sounding song. I enjoy the instruments used. I would not that it is an instrumental song.
The Parting Glass: I love this song! The sad melody, the strings, the words, her soft voice. It is beautiful! I think is is my most favorite song, tied with The Wind that Shakes the Barley,on the whole album. I like this version better than other versions I have heard since the sad sound fits more with the mood, rather than some of the happier versions I have heard.

Overall I love this album. It has wonderful, beautiful, lovely music that ranges from happy to sad. I would recommend this to anyone who is into Irish/Celtic music. Loreena McKennitt  is a must have for your music collection.
Blessings
~Elizabeth


2 comments:

  1. Hi, love! I got your message about Tumblr; YES, I do have some information! It's free, first of all.

    There are weird people on there, but there's weird people everywhere. If you have trouble with anyone, you can just block them and they won't show up again. You can follow people, just like on here, like people's posts, message them, re-post their photos or text posts and have them automatically credited to them (which is one reason I prefer it to Blogspot). Let me know if you get one; I'll make sure to follow you!!! (P.S. The layout is a bit different than Blogspot's, but it only took me a week or so to get used to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I will be sure to let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete