Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The other side of me

So when I started this blog I wanted to post about things that I like, enjoy, and just want to talk about. It was a place for me to be me, and for me to figure out what I like. I came to the realization that I have not posted about something that is kind of  who I am, and is also something that my family really connects together with. (Really all I really have to say when I am starting to argue with my one of my sisters is "Daniel Jackson", and then we will no longer be fitting. Although that is not a good way to work out an argument.) Anyway...... so what is this thing. Sci-Fi. I realize this seems really weird, that I like period Drama and Sci-Fi the two just don't go together in my head. But I like both weird or not.

I would not call myself a Sic-Fi expert, but I am familiar with some. There are Sci-Fi shows and movies I do not care to see. Some are just way to scary, or just plain not interesting. Like this one movie my family started because it had a particular actor in it that we liked, and we read the description thought it might be interesting. Started it on Netflix instant watch. Turned out to be really boring, and then kind of scary at some parts, we started just skipping to the scenes that just had the one actor in it. So I know what happened for the most part, and how it ended, but really was not all that great. So some is good and some not so good, but that is normal with anything that you watch.

Now what am I familiar with:
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation 
  • Star Trek Original (Seen about a 1/3 of the episodes) 
  • Started Deep Space 9 (not very far along at all)
  • Star Wars 4, 5, and 6. 
  • Some of Farscape 
  • Stargate: SG-1
  • Stargate: Atlantis
  • Stargate: Universe (a little over half) Stargate (The first movie) 
  • Stargate Continuum 
  • Stargate Ark of Truth
  •  Eureka 
  • and probably some others. Now what am I familiar with.



Just looking at the list I realize now that there is a lot of
Stargate on it. That noted, I am probably now an expert on Stargate. My family has been on a Stargate kick for a while. But as Universe is all that is left, it will soon be over and we will move on. It is not that my family doesn't watch anything else we do. This just seems to be the preference since is is what we all can agree to like. Stargate is actually probably one of my favorites, I think it is tied with Star Trek TNG. I remember playing Star Trek in my backyard with my sisters. I have practicly grown up with Sci-Fi. It was a big part of my childhood. What can I say, it is part of who I am.

I like Science Fiction. It is something I enjoy, I am not nearly as obsessed as some people, but I think it is a creative and interesting form of entertainment that can deal with different issues. My family all enjoys this genre. I know like all things in the TV and film industry it has many faults, but as I said so do many other things.




Oh and if you are wondering who on earth Daniel Jackson is. This is him. He is really Dr. Daniel Jackson, but we always call him Daniel. He is an amazing archaeologist. I will probably do a post on him latter.

Blessings
~Elizabeth







3 comments:

  1. I too am a fan of Sci-fi and Period Dramas, so it's certainly not weird to me. My sister loved the original Stargate series. I've seen a good chunk of the original Star Trek episodes and some of Next Generation (always fun to watch with my family). I've also seen Star Wars 4, 5, 6, and 1 (I didn't even bother with 2 and 3 -- heard they weren't very good). I've also seen some episodes of the old Battlestar Gallatica series (I was thrilled to find out that Ben Cartwright from Bonanza was the admiral of the ship).

    If you decide to post more on Sci-fi, I'll be reading the posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you made me so happy! I am not alone in the world! :) I think Stargate is my favorite. I completely forgot about the old Battle Star Galactica, i really enjoyed that one. I have heard that they were not very good as well. I have not seen them but one of my sisters has seen them. I think I would like to see them.

    I hope to post more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE sci-fi; to me, it's a type of costume drama! I love Star Trek TOS, and I like Star Trek TNG...I'm still kind of a Star Trek newbie. (I saw Star Wars 4...didn't like it much.) Jules Verne sci-fi is wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete