Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Narnia and the theory of relativity

My family has been listening to the Narnia series, my sisters and I love these books! Who doesn't? While listening I noticed that the Theory of Relativity was in it. Maybe I am the only person who has not noticed it, and everyone else has noticed this already. I was just slow to notice it.

Anyway one day while listening to these books. I realized C. S. Lewis was talking about the theory of relativity in his books. You know how time moves at different speeds in our world and Narnia, but when we where in Narnia and our world we don't notice the difference. Why? Because of the theory of relativity.

Time always seems to move at a "normal" pace, no matter how fast or slow it is actually moving. Time in Narnia moves faster than time in our world, this has been proven throughout the books. But when we are in Narnia it seems to move at the same pace as in our world, because time moves relative to us. I have not studied the theory of relativity in any great depth, I do know a little about it, and understand enough to see that it is used in Narnia.

I am probably very poorly explained it to you, but I hope you can get an idea of what I am saying. :)

Blessings
~Elizabeth

5 comments:

  1. Interesting...I hadn't thought of that before, but you're right! In the context of 'worlds,' though, I wonder if it would affect somebody negatively, like jet-lag or something.

    Are you listening to the Radio Theatre Narnia dramas? Those are great adaptations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting! My mom tried to explain something like this to me, but it was quite confusing. That's so cool that C. S. Lewis put it in. Not 'magic', but a logical explanation for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marian: I had not thought about it either, but it just came to me one day. You know I think there is a bit of an affect that you can feel. I am not sure though, I would have to read more about it. We are listening to the Theater Drama one from Focus on the Family. We have been enjoying it very much!

    @Maria Elizabeth: It is really hard to grasp, but my dad likes sci-fi shows and this comes up a lot on some of them LOL. I think it is really cool that he put this in there.
    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read those books several times, and I love physics, but I've never thought about how it could connect to the theory of relativity. Well we learn something new everyday. Glad to have found your blog, and nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete