Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Historical Fiction Books I Recommend

I am a big historical fiction fan and I would say close to half of all the books I read are historical fiction. I wanted to share with you some of my favorites. I will have links to the books on Goodreads so that you can read another description and/or add them to your want to read list. I have quite a few favorites so I might do another post or two so that it is not one big long post.
~~~
247982
The title speaks for itself I believe. This is the diary of a young girl who survives the Titanic. I enjoyed this book and it was very moving with a great attention to detail. My only complaint was with the description of how the ship went under. The Titanic broke in half in this book is is described as going under in one piece. This book was published in 1998 and the wreck of the Titanic was found around 1985 when it was discovered that the eyewitness accounts of the ship breaking in half were in fact true. Since the authors seems to have so much research on the Titanic given the amount of detain she puts in other places I am not sure why she would completely omitted this huge piece of information.
480258
This is a true story of a family in Cambodia during the communist period and genocide. This is not an easy read and is not a book I would recommend for someone who is not at least 15. It is important to read though so that we remember.
2830855
This is a fantastic book. It is takes place during the Denmark evacuation of the Jews. That is one of my favorite moments of World War Two. There are many moving stories about this event. This is one that has stuck out to me more.
703292
This takes place during the early colonization of north America by the British in a puritan town. It is also during the witch scare. It can be and interesting look into how superstitious early Americans were and a look into puritan culture. 
130085
This book takes place in Ireland during the start of the Irish potato famine. I read it when I was much younger and it made me fall in love with anything Irish.
298869
I love Gloria Whelon as an author and this is one of my favorites by her. It is the story of you English girl whose parents are African missionaries. It tells her story of how she lost everything she held dear and how recovered from it and became stronger.
~~~
These are a few of my favorite historical fiction books. Let me know if you have read any of these ones and tell me a few of your favorites I am always on the look out for book suggestions.
Love!
~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment