Monday, June 9, 2014

Book Review: The Word Changers

The Word Changers Book cover
“Her parents’ marriage is falling apart. Fifteen-year-old Posy feels her life is falling apart with it. Retreating to an old library down the street, she selects a mysterious book in a secluded corner and is magically drawn into its story...
Posy finds herself in a kingdom ruled by a cruel and manipulative king and queen who have attempted to usurp the role that belongs only to the Author of their story. The princess has fled and the kingdom is teetering toward rebellion. Posy is joined by the Prince Kyran as they fight with the characters of the story against their slavery to the Plot.
Posy and the prince search beyond the borders of the story for the runaway princess. They visit mysterious places, face horrifying monsters, and fight fierce battles. They make both friends and enemies as their journey leads them into many dangers. But some of the worst dangers, Posy soon finds, lie deep within her own heart.
Now Posy must find the courage and forgiveness needed to save the story and, most important, heal the heartache she knew in her own world.” –Book description from Goodreads
I had the wonderful opportunity to review The Word Changers by Ashlee Willis. I tend to be a bit wary of Christian fiction as it is often very preachy about what the author believes which makes me feel uncomfortable. The Word Changers is a nice exception. Ashlee Willis never mentions religion in her book. There are recognizable Christian themes and parallels Ashlee Willis does a wonderful job of melding them into the plot in a way that feels natural with out any tacky feeling or awkwardness. It made reading the book much more enjoyable.
The idea of being able to fall into the story in a book is a fascinating one and an idea that many book lovers have often wished for or is that just me? The idea of characters being bound to the plot and yet free to make their own choices and taking on a life of their own was a very wonderful idea. Ashlee Willis gives just enough detail that the read can build a picture of what is going on without going overboard with details.
Some characters I found more relatable than others. They were real people who had lived life they had gone through pain and even joy. They had hope for the future. I found it difficult to relate to Posy at times though there were moments I had to remind myself how old she was. She is fifteen but sometimes I felt she behaved a bit more like a twelve year old. She did grow and change throughout the story to become stronger and more confident. I think part of it was that if Posy just didn’t mesh with me. I did relate to Posy’s love for her younger sisters and to her being and oldest child as I am a the oldest of four girls.
Overall I really enjoyed this book. It is a fun fantasy book for book lovers to read. It has a nice length that is not to long and a relaxing book to read for those who are on summer break and need a good book to read to help them relax. I would give this book 4 out of 5.
If you are interested in this book you should enter the giveaway on Goodreads! You can also purchase this book on Amazon and Barns and Noble.
You can find Ashlee Willis at her blog Finding The True Fairy Tale, on her Facebook page, and her Twitter.
Lots of Love!
~Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book! Lovely review, Elizabeth!

    By the by, last Thursday, my blog, Fullness of Joy had its 3rd birthday :). To celebrate the event, I am hosting a blog-party of "special magnificence" throughout the week, and as a cherry-top icing a fun giveaway for three winners to end it all. It will be a week long tag series, with every day or so I'll be making different literary-themed topic tags, about different genres such as the classics, fantasy, mystery, children's, etc . . which everyone can join in with. And I am dearly hoping you would - it would thrill me very much and also it should prove some fun, I think :)

    Today's topic is "Historical Classics" :)

    http://joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/through-looking-glass-blog-birthday.html?m=1

    I hope you can join!

    ReplyDelete