Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Book Review: Heartless

Title: Heartless
Author: Anne Elisabeth Stengl
Summary: A bored princess longs for love and romance, but when she finally turns 18  and men can start coming to "pay their respects" she finds love and romance are not at all what she expected. Princesses, knights, dragons, and a fairy tale story. (I would like to note that I wrote the summary)

I have to say that fantasy has not been in the past on of my favorite genres. However, as of late I have started to enjoy it more and more. This is one the books that has pulled me into the genre. I was sucked into the story from the very beginning. It was one of those books that you just could not put down. I had to force my self to put it down.

I enjoy the books different take on fairies. They are not the fluttery Tinker Bell kind in the book they are very different. I liked how different from people they were. I was very interested in how she told about dragons it was a new and yet the same kind of dragon. It was I think a very creative and new way to tell a story.

One thing that his me throughout the book was the analogies I made to life, faith, and most especially the heart. I was blown away with the ideas of the heart, both physical and emotional, and how they were shown through the story. They were ideas that I had know for a long time and agree with, but how they were presented in a riveting story just blew me away. I don't want to talk about what exactly they were, at lest in this review, since they are a huge part of the story.

One other thing that jumped out at me was how your prince might not be what you expect them to be. It could be completely opposite of what you think he is, but even more than you thought. It was interesting to see that at play in the book.

I also enjoyed seeing how we can repent of what we are, and change who we are in the story. We should not be afraid to ask for help. There were so many things in this story that pulled me in, and made me think deeper and more about things I already knew. It is a book I would highly recommend to anyone.

Have you read this book? If not would you like to read the book?
Blessings
~Elizabeth




2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine has told me about this series, Elizabeth. It certainly sounds interesting, especially that the fairy-tale is written in a fresh way and has thought-provoking messages in it. I'm not sure it would be my reading style very much though for fantasy (I prefer Narnia/LOTR kind of fantasy best.) Have you ever heard of Chuck Black's two series, The Kingdom Series, and The Knights of Arrethtrae Series? The Knights Arrethtrae Series is great, with a really strong Christian message in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fantasy reader, particularly, but this sound good. I really enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete